You are browsing the archive for Uncategorized.

International Council meeting – July 4 2013

Christian Villum - July 8, 2013 in Uncategorized

Thursday July 4 2013 – 14.30 UTC/GMT, 15.30 BST (British Summer Time)

Participants (Doodle):

  1. Oleg Lavrovsky (Switzerland)
  2. Alberto Albella (Spain)
  3. Everton Zanella (Brazil)
  4. Tomo Watanabe (Japan)
  5. Prakash Neupane (Nepal)
  6. Gisele Craveiro (Brazil)
  7. Pierre Chrzanowski (France)
  8. Charalampos Bratsas (Greece)
  9. Christian Villum (OKF Central)
  10. Zara Rahman (OKF Central)
  11. Neal Bastek (OKF Central)

Apologies (unable to attend):

  1. Daniel Dietrich (Germany)
  2. Joris Pekel (Netherlands)
  3. Sridhar Gutam (India)
  4. Laura James (OKF Central)
  5. Rufus Pollock (OKF Central)
  6. Anastasios Ventouris (Greece)

Meeting minutes from earlier meetings

April 29 2013

July 4th 2013 Agenda and meeting minutes

#topic State of the Council, how are we getting off the ground 

(Reminder of the new committee structure and List of committee members)

General: Welcome Committee has not yet done a welcome party for the last round (Round 4) of Ambassadors. Other Committees would like to see how Ambassadors are being reviewed- Process document to be shared (ZR)

Suggestions – how to make the Review process more transparent?

  • A trello board – or a simple spreadsheet.
  • International Council to be kept up to date with Review Process.
  • Creating a list of all Local Coordinators, Ambassadors – for the community. Especially useful as the network grows bigger and bigger!
  • This perhaps interlinks with ongoing idea of having a ‘phone book’ or directory of all OKF members around the world. (see Ideas board in Trello)
  • Ideas on Mentoring and Reviewing to be followed up by Mentoring and Reviewing Committee together with Local Groups team (Christian, Neal, Zara)

Review Committee

List of inducted Ambassadors/Initiatives

How are things going?

  • Been having a break over last couple of weeks- but have reviewed now 5 Rounds of Ambassadors.
  • Acceptance rate varies greatly; process has been based on objective criteria rather than quotas.

Selection Process document

Suggestion – reviewing at set time periods, eg. 4 times a year. Reduces ongoing work for Review Committee

Process point – increasing efficiency and considering Reviewing strategy (ie, aiming to get through lots of applications at once? Or, staggering them so as to give incoming Ambassadors time to get settled in the community?) – discussion to be continued with Review Committee and Local Groups team

Outreach Committee

How can we get started?

No members present, tabled.

Mentoring Committee

Welcome calls – how are they going?

  • First one (With Round 2 and 3)  went well- ready for second (Round 4) (and third- Round 5, inducted this week)
  • More of a social event than a formal process – first time for many seeing actual faces, hearing people from inside the community
  • Difficulties of organising calls with varying time zones – http://worldtimebuddy.com suggested as tool here.

Suggestion – representation on this committee from varying time zones, so at least one person is available

To do: Welcome Party guidelines, including: How long after induction calls should take place

Mentoring Committee to discuss further via discussion list: Mentorship Program for incoming Ambassadors and Initiatives

Steering Committee

First task coming up: Advising on challenges in expanding the Local Groups Network

 

#topic More members in the committees

#action Review Committee – 3 members now, need 1-2 more. Would anyone like to join?

  • To invite incoming Ambassadors to join the council – Council needs to grow as number of Ambassadors and network grows
  • Bonus of having more members of Review Committee- enables them to split the applications.

Prakash to join Review Committee!

#topic Local Group contact registry

#action How can we ensure that the growing network is capable of contacting each other better?

  • Should we use okfn.org/members more? How best to allow people to contact each other within the network?
  • With a LG registry – how much maintenance/updating work would this require? See Trello card re: “phone book”

Issue – people using different platforms, where is best to connect everyone? Facebook, Google groups/Google +, Skype, Email. Comments here invited!

 

#topic The Prospect Community (proposal, feedback invited)

#action Thoughts on “Prospects Community” = holding platform/incubator scheme for unsuccessful Ambassador applicants (see background thoughts, proposal and drafted track keeping sheet)

  • Council members to review after the call, and enter comments/thoughts, and a summary to be sent round to Local Groups, for input before launching.

 

#topic Reporting Group Activity

(#action) How are individual groups tracking their engagement (informally or formally)?

(#action) How can we best show the breadth and depth of local group work to the wider community?

(#action) Encouraging knowledge/experience sharing between Local Groups, and more practically, sharing of materials produced.
Demonstrating engagement and impact will help us provide more resources to local groups in the future.

 

#topic New “funding pot” for Local Groups

Small grants are available for Local Groups to support events, travel etc.

  • 100-150 euros available for printing, travel, bringing in speakers, events.
  • Good response from Council – clearly needed and wanted by community!
  • Will help with regional binding within community, and for securing other funds

 

#topic Council Member’s issues

  • Fundraising – important to focus on goals and projects, less so on bringing together most amount of people
  • Sharing experiences/mistakes from OKF Central, and increasing engagement from OKF Central to Local Groups. Should goals be set by Central, and implemented by Local Groups? Or could Central engage by looking over project proposals and commenting? If LGs want to share proposals with Central, please send to local@, Local Groups team happy to look over them!

 

#topic Misc

Session summary:

http://meetinglogs.okfn.org/okfn-int/2013/okfn-int.2013-07-04-14.38.txt 

Full IRC transcript:

http://meetinglogs.okfn.org/okfn-int/2013/okfn-int.2013-07-04-14.38.log.txt

 

 

International Council meeting – Monday April 29 2013

Christian Villum - July 2, 2013 in Uncategorized

International Council meeting

Monday April 29 2013 – 13.00 GMT / 14.00 BST (British Summer Time)

You can join the meet up directly here if you don’t have a IRC client: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=okfn-int #okfn-int # freenode

Participants:

* Rufus Pollock, Laura James, Christian Villum, Zara Rahman (Central)
* Oleg Lavrovsky (CH)
* Tomoaki Watanabe (Japan)
* Alberto Albella (ES)
* Everton Zanella Alvarenga (Brazil)
* Michaela Rybickova (Czech Republic)
* Daniel Dietrich (Germany)
* Charalampos Bratsa (Greece)
* Joris Pekel (Netherlands)
* Pierre Chrzanowski (France)
* Haklae Kim (Korea)
* Julia Kloiber (DE)

Listed but not present in IRC

* Samuel Goëta (France)
* Antti Poikola (Finland)
* Thomas Turner (Austria)

Apologies (unable to attend):

* David F. Flanders (Australia)

Channel:

[1] IRC – freenode – #okfn-int (use http://webchat.freenode.net/ if you don’t have an IRC client)

[2] Skype as backup, please add christianvillum, rufuspollock, laura.james, zara.rahman to your Skype contacts.

Logging

Laura will be logging the meeting, full transcript here.

Agenda

  • Introducing Zara Rahman, new OKF International Community Manager
  • Restructuring the International Council
  • The committees and their focusses, suggested tasks
    • Steering Committee
      • Steering development of network
      • Help review Chapter applications
    • Mentoring Committee
      • Welcome Party Calls
      • Mentoring scheme
    • Projects Committee
      • Identify campaigns and joint projects
      • Connect Local Groups and Working Groups
    • Outreach Committee
      • Shared materials
      • Optimizing our outreach
    • Review Committee
      • Review Ambassador applicants (many Ambassador applicants in the pipeline), see current procedure.
      • Optimizing our outreach
    • Joining the committees (who joins which committee?)
    • Specific key areas
      • Outreach materials
      • Ambassador review
  • Next steps
  • Misc / Any other business
  • How do we stay in touch and share what’s going on – Rufus’s point about the Summit ….removal of council mailing list?

Meeting Minutes

Introducing Zara Rahman, new OKF International Community Manager

Zara was welcomed. She is based in Berlin.

Restructuring the International Council

Feedback on the v2 proposal for distributed governance was requested.

Rufus raised the question of communications eg sharing learning; the Summit was a great opportunity for this but how can we keep it going?

Trusting new people: how can we trust people we haven’t all worked with? Perhaps new ambassadors could serve an “apprenticeship” and show results… whilst being mentored.

What’s the number of ambassador applications? 1-2 per week, over 30 in pipeline. Already 5 Ambassadors plus Initiatives & Chapters.

Do we actively look after people who apply to be Ambassadors but are put in the “holding pattern”? Do we have resource for this? would this be part of the Review Committee responsibility?

The committees:

Steering committee:

The committee was introduced as per the v2 document and no objections raised.

Mentoring committee:

Was introduced. Christian and Zara will be on this committee too.

Nominees: Everton; Pierre;Julia

Potential: Charalampos to check with Lazaros

Review Committee:

Was introduced.

Nominees: Charalampos, Oleg

There was a proposal to merge the Projects and Outreach committees as they are similar in focus. This proposal was agreed.

Nominees for Projects & Outreach Committee:

* Alberto Abella (ES)
* Daniel Dietrich (DE)
* Haklae Kim (Korea)
* Joris Pekel (NL)

Full IRC transcript from the meeting can be found here.

Wolfpack Meeting Notes, 1/10/12

Laura Newman - October 8, 2012 in Uncategorized

# Team Meeting

Team meeting [1/10/12]. at 3:00pm UK time. (14:00 UTC)

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke
* Lucy Chambers
* Marcus Dapp
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Jonathan Gray
* Sam Leon
* Naomi Lillie
* Laura Newman
* Joris Pekel
* Darwin Peltan
* Tom Rees
* Michelle Heydon

## Apologies
* Irina Bolychevsky
* Daniel Dietrich
* Laura James (probably not going to make this week)
* Rufus Pollock
* Meg Foulkes

## Agenda
* OKFest follow-up (coordinating contacts etc) + OKFestival book + ‘After’ page

## Events (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0)
* Update from RP (following discussion with LN and MF)
* MozFest (potential attendees include Michael Bauer, Lucy Chambers, Laura Newman (?), Tom Rees, Sam Smith… )
-> Propose action should be, to try and get the people who proposed the school of data session. That should be Michael’s priority on the call, see if we could get those 4 people there
Budget -> project vs core
Lucy to request weekend slot

## Questions
* Who now is responsible for registering domains? (Re: Jonathan’s suggestion to register openco2.org)
and who reviews existing domains (sites) and works out if we should keep them on?
-> in future (for now at least, people register their)
-> from Darwin – how do we ensure renewal reminders don’t get missed?
* NB in next 45 days Accuwebhosting is deleting wheredoesmymoneygo.net, dataquestions.org, reviewlution.net, knowledgeforge.net, opendatacommons.org, econdata.org and econopedia.info (should these messages, currently to admin@, go to sys-admin?)
* What is correct address for sys-admin Qs / request? sysadmin@okfn.org or sysadmin-coord@lists.okfn.org?
* sysadmin@
* This call – time & chair, and do we like Google hangouts?
* Move community call to 15 uk /16 europe for 1 hour
* ping team re: wolfpack timing and focus
* New projects submission form – what are we doing with this?
* Open Transport working group want to write an Open Transport Data Handbook. They are looking for
a) a copyeditor
b) around €5k to fund printed copies.
How much can we help? Who can we point them towards?
WG coord (LauraN/Naomi) has a £2000 budget for random WG support – happy to delegate to them to figure out how this divides between WGs <-- ddin't know about this! Might need some guidance... 🙂 Likewise... project support -> network and WGs\

## AOB
Good for a laugh: 7th image in the series http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19749546 <- haha. photo of the day! thought you'd like it 😀

Notes from the Wolfpack Meeting, 9/16/12

Kat Braybrooke - July 16, 2012 in Uncategorized

## AOB (For Your Attention!)

* Note for all re OKFestival: All OKF Staff should have gotten email regarding travel/accommodation from Naomi last week (ask her if not). Updated week schedule now at http://okfestival.org/schedule and contact email for each Topic Stream at http://okfestival.org/contact – Second round of Travel Bursaries to be released later this week.
* Reminder: please fill in survey about the Staff Summit before this Wed!
* A note that LauraJ still needs a monthly update from Chapters, Labs, OKFest, OpenBib, CKAN core, CKAN small projects (CMAP, IATI, DGU). To submit, email her or use the google form ASAP. Deadline extended to this Wednesday.


## Highlights

* Question for OKF Networks re use of OKFN images and public attributions – the licence we put photos on Flickr under requires attribution ‘in the way specified by the author’ – it isn’t clear what that ‘way’ is. Perhaps there should be a clearer statement on our [profile page](http://www.flickr.com/people/okfn/), and perhaps we should use CC-0 instead. Naomi to send round email discussion about this.
* Another note that we still are all hangin’ on Campfire – for those who want to natter/chill, join us!
* Question about Notepad and who is supposed to do it, and also about who is on team@ vs staff@. LauraJ will email explanations about both of these for reference of entire staff.
* Conversation about the never-ending problem of Skype being somewhat awful. Thoughts re: using a landline (so analog!) or another method (perhaps our own server on Mumble?)


## Events
* Note: for the next few weeks, we will put events in the Events Spreadsheet and Joris will send around a regular email to determine their status, given that many of us will not be able to join these calls each week for the remainder of the summer.


## Updates

– [Naomi Lillie](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/07/16/week-ahead-naomi-lillie-21/)
– [Daniel Dietrich](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/07/16/week-ahead-daniel-dietrich-28/)
– [Sam Leon](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/07/16/weekly-update-sam-leon-24/)
– [Kat Braybrooke](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/07/16/week-ahead-kat-braybrooke-32/)
– [Laura James](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/07/16/week-ahead-laura-james-24/)
– [Tom Rees](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/07/16/week-ahead-tom-rees-6/)


## Participants

* Kat Braybrooke
* Daniel Dietrich
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Laura James
* Sam Leon
* Naomi Lillie
* Darwin Peltan
* Mark Wainwright
* Ira Bolychevsky
* Primavera de Filippi


## Apologies

* Joris Pekel
* Jonathan Gray (will be joining this call again next week!)
* Tom Rees (away in Edinburgh Mon,Tues,Weds)
* Marcus Dapp (in Cyprus speaking for OKFN)
* Laura Newman
* Rufus Pollock
* Lucy Chambers

Notes from the Wolfpack Meeting, 25/6/12

Laura Newman - June 25, 2012 in Uncategorized

# Team Meeting

Team meeting 25th June, around 1.30 pm UK time. (12:30 UTC, 14:30 CEST)

## Highlights
* NO Wolfpack meeting next week, due to All Hands
* Gentle reminder to fill in the “State of Affairs” staff survey if not yet done: (current stats: full 12, incomplete 6, total 18.)
* Please use ‘free text’ fields to add comments
* Please give your input to [July Summit agenda](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nzcYE_jGy4ZvLLUvUztiRzeoRvlN88NesvhAKdLdPMs/edit). Accomodation list can be found here:
* Initial deadline for OKFest travel bursaries is this Wednesday, please share with your networks. Core team travel funding to be discussed in managemenet meeting today, more info soon.
* Laura James away this week – Naomi can help with finances, but for emergency payments talk to Rufus and for management stuff talk to Marcus.
* Laura Newman out of touch to varying degrees until mid-August. Comm coord team to reallocate chairing meetings etc.

## Notes
* Mumble verdict is a ‘no’, sticking with Skype for now with hunting for an alternative ongoing but on the back-burner
* Video month [LJ] – NB: carried over from last week
* OKFN now has a video camera!
* Discussing video usage and future plans at All-Hands meeting, with Jonathan, with aim to make a ‘who are we’ video for presenting to others
* Google Hangouts for Comm-coord standups?
* possible alternative to a Skype call, can use video etc, Lucy suggests experimenting
* Comm Coord encouraged to liaise together more

## Events (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0)
* Transparency Week, Mexico (coincides with OKFest)
* No-one free, shame – LN will send reluctant ‘no’ with invitation to be involved in OKFest 😉
* Cambridge Network – Policy Making Implications of the Digital Revolution, 12/7.
* LN to confirm unavailability
* [online] USAID June 26th Ideation Jam for Food Security Open Data Challenge (e-mail with info forwarded) [ie tomorrow]
* No-one immediately available but anyone interested should contact Velichka D
* DDJBook – Korea
* Immediately after OKFest – should tie-in with end of All-Hands meeting on Sat/Sun
* LC potentially attending
* Big Data Forum [MW]
* For info only at this stage, CKAN attendance possible

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke
* Lucy Chambers
* Marcus Dapp
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Naomi Lillie
* Laura Newman
* Joris Pekel
* Mark Wainwright

## Apologies
* Daniel Dietrich
* Laura James
* Sam Leon
* Darwin Peltan
* Rufus Pollock
* Tom Rees

## Updates (paste your notebook link in here [name](link)):
* [Naomi Lillie](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-naomi-lillie-19/)
* [Kat Braybrooke](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-kat-braybrooke-30/)
* [Tom Rees](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-tom-rees-4/)
* [Marcus Dapp](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-marcus-dapp/)
* [Laura Newman](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-laura-newman-23/)
* [Laura James](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/weeks-ahead-laura-james/)
* [Joris Pekel](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-joris-pekel-9/)
* [Sam Smith](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-sam-smith-5/)
* [Tom Rees](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/week-ahead-tom-rees-4/)
* [Sam Leon](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/25/weekly-update-sam-leon-22/)

Notes from the Wolfpack meeting, 11/6/12

Laura Newman - June 11, 2012 in Uncategorized

# Team Meeting

Team meeting 11th June. around 1.30 pm UK time. (12:30 UTC)
Mumble trial run!

## Highlights
* All Core Team meeting planned for 2nd-4th July. There has been some concern over attendee list. If you have feedback, email Marcus and it will be taken into account.
* Thursday is the first press event for OKFest! Travel bursaries will also become available then – watch this space!
* Velichka is organising the creation of a video about the OKFN. If you want to get involved, sign-up to help her out
* This weekend (16th & 17th June) is Culture Hack East in Cambridge – it would be great if someone were able to attend!
* The call today was carried out using Mumble instead of Skype. Mixed responses. Some issues may be ‘teething’ (getting used to the functionality) but there are some definite drawbacks – one user was left feeling like this . We have a 2 week trial. Please keep using it so that we can make an informed decision.
* There will be **NO WOLFPACK CALL** next week as so many people are away.

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke
* Lucy Chambers
* Marcus Dapp
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Laura James (possibly, depending on how event pans out)
* Sam Leon (until 2pm only)
* Naomi Lillie
* Laura Newman
* Joris Pekel
* Tom Rees
* Mark Wainwright

## Apologies
* Darwin Peltan
* Daniel Dietrich (in a call about open transport at OKFest)
* Rufus Pollock

## Agenda
* Video month! (LJ)
* note for next week discussion
* List of resources? (cf Open Data Documentaries) [LN]
* inspired by open data documentaries – have page where general open data / knowledge / etc resources are available on web, combine with WIKI info – LN to liaise with TR & VD
* ACT (MD) – discuss later,
* Concern that some people left out
* mgmt team will discuss feedback that came in by email
* LN off next Monday – meeting cancelled
* OKFest update: tickets, travel bursaries, design.
* Money for travel bursaries to become available
* Thursday is first press event
* A video about the OKF – (VD)
* VD to arrange call / workshop to plan, discuss budget, content etc:
* Volunteers requested to help form a ‘video planning committee’: Laura N

## Updates (paste your notebook link in here [name](link)):
* [Daniel Dietrich](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/week-ahead-daniel-dietrich-22/)
* [Naomi Lillie](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/week-ahead-naomi-lillie-18/) FAO: my availability over the next fortnight is as follows:Mon Foundation Administration; Tue, Wed, Thu at [BiblioHack](https://blog.okfn.org/2012/05/09/hackathon-alert-bibliohack) so minimal availability. Please note I am not working 19th-22nd June, back 25th June.
* [Laura Newman](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/weekly-update-laura-newman/)
* [Tom Rees](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/week-ahead-tom-rees-3/)
* [Joris Pekel](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/week-ahead-joris-pekel-7/)
* [Sam Leon](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/weekly-update-sam-leon-21/)
* [Laura James](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/06/11/week-ahead-laura-james-21/)

## Events (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0)
* VASS2012
* unavailable
* UIA round table
* unavailable
* Edinburgh
* NL to run this, possible presentation as opposed to in person due to OKFest
* InterFace 2012
* LC to ask RP (LJ unavailable)
* Culture Hack East
* involved without attending / speaking directly, tickets available
## Questions
## AOB
* Mumble not an immediate success but we’ll use for the 2 week trial period and see how we go
## Notes
## Actions

Notes from the Wolfpack meeting, 28/5/12

Laura Newman - May 28, 2012 in Uncategorized

# Team Meeting

Team meeting 28th May. around 1.30 pm UK time. (12:30 UTC)

## Highlights
* Mumble is the new Skype! We’ll kick-off a Mumble trial period at the Wolfpack call on June 11th – more details from Joris to follow, but everyone will need to create an account before then.
* Marcus is preparing the first OKFN team survey! Vote for the topics you would like to see covered here
* All Hands will be held 2-4th July. E-mail Laura J with requests for agenda items or people who should attend.
* Because next week is the Jubilee weekend in the UK, there will be **no Wolfpack call**.

## Actions
* JP to talk to David Raznik to check usefulness of Mumble
* All to sign up with account by morning of Monday 11th
* All to input at http://md.okfnpad.org/survey-topics before Friday, 1st June
* All to e-mail Laura J if have suggestions for agenda items or people who should attend ‘All Hands’
* LN to ask Open Transport guys if available for SNCF launch of Hackday Transilien, tell SNCF more notice helpful

## Participants
* Lucy Chambers
* Marcus Dapp
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Laura James
* Naomi Lillie
* Laura Newman
* Joris Pekel
* Darwin Peltan
* Tom Rees
* Mark Wainwright

## Apologies
* Sam Leon (at crowd sourcing seminar at Kings College London for TEXTUS, notebook post up)
* Kat Braybrooke (day off Monday, but wrote Notebook post if want to see actitivies this week)
* Daniel Dietrich (public holiday in Germany, also in bavaria ;-))
* Rufus Pollock (at Shuttleworth meet-up)

## Agenda
* Mumble: the new Skype (JP) (or is it…) We require a conferencing facility:
* Mumble looks perfect, open source but but costs +/- 10E each month for hosted option, may need own server. JP to talk to David Raznik to check usefulness of Mumble
* VSee – Free, no user limit for call, low bandwith. Not open source – focus on video
* Anymeeting – Free but with adds
* Onwebinar – Open, easy to use but in Beta, needs some testing
* Webhuddle – Open Source, Java based and in browser. Also needs some testing..
* Lucy: I’m currently with Elena Mondo from IBP, she recommends – could have benefit for show and tell. Has crashed on LOD2 calls… problems on linux.
* Screenleap.com recommended by Tom R (for screen-sharing)
* Mumble accounts – all to sign up with account by morning of Monday 11th, we’ll use Mumble for the Wolfpack and for the Projects call which will be in next fortnight. Need to think about how we’ll know if it’s better than the current situation.
* All Hands – 2-4th July, e-mail Laura J with requests for agenda items or people who should attend. ‘All’ may mean everyone paid, but trade-off against size of venue is consideration. Suggestion of evening meet-up in addition to smaller group.
* Core team (or all-paid-staff and major WG coords?) survey (MD) as part of strategy process, results for All-hands. Your input appreciated at until Friday, 1.6.
* Next week Jubilee w/e, many people not working – Wolfpack call cancelled for next week

## Updates (paste your notebook link in here [name](link)):
* [Laura Newman](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/week-ahead-laura-newman-21/)
* [Kat Braybrooke](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/week-ahead-kat-braybrooke-28/)
* [Naomi Lillie](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/weeh-ahead-naomi-lillie/ )
* [Daniel Dietrich](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/27/week-ahead-daniel-dietrich-21/)
* [Sam Leon](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/weekly-update-sam-leon-20/)
* [Joris Pekel](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/week-ahead-joris-pekel-5/)
* [Tom Rees](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/week-ahead-tom-rees-2/)
* [Lucy Chambers](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/week-ahead-lucy-chambers-36/)
* [Laura James](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/28/week-ahead-laura-james-19/)

## Events (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0)
* SNCF launch of Hackday Transilien (requested RGRP) – need a response by tomorrow – ask Open Transport guys if available, tell SNCF more notice helpful 🙂

Notes from Wolfpack Meeting, 21/5/12

Laura Newman - May 22, 2012 in Uncategorized

# Team Meeting

Team meeting 21st May. around 1.30 pm UK time. (12:30 UTC)

## Highlights

* Tom Rees clarified the situation in Labs – see ‘Notes’ below for more details.
* Congratulations Velichka and co on the success of YourTopia in Apps4Italy!
* If you are supposed to attend Monday meetings, please do so! If you really can’t be there, send an apology and be sure to follow up on the notes.
* See ‘Notes’ section for how Wolfpack meetings are to be used for deciding which events to attend.

## Asks

* Is ‘OKFN Professional Services’ the best name for the new side of Labs? Alternative suggestions welcome.
* Please send Tom Rees list of any useful contacts who may be interested in Professional Services type work.
* Joris Pekel & volunteers have a new project to create audio podcasts on opendata topics. If you meet someone interesting or go to an event, think about whether you could record an interview.
* Darwin Peltan is looking for suggestions of Data Sets that people would like to see converted to linked data (Data needs to be from within the EU)

## Notes

### Process for deciding about which events to attend.
* On the call, we want to know:
– do you know of this event / have insight into whether it’s useful / high-profile
– know through your networks of e.g. people we should / could meet there
* This collective community knowledge will help us to decide whether it’s worth attending.
* If the event relates to a specific project, budget decisions should be made by the project leader.
* If the event is general / core, budget decisions can be made by LJ/NL.

### Update on Labs
* Previously, labs was an uncomfortable mix of internal (experimental) and external (client-facing) stuff.
* This is now going to be divided
* Tom Rees will be in charge of ‘Technical Services’ side of Labs (external)
* Nick will be in charge of ‘Labs’ (internal, experimental, not trying to bring in funds)
* New front-end web page will make it clear what OKFN can offer to you, in terms of professional / technical services.

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Laura Newman
* Joris Pekel
* Darwin Peltan
* Tom Rees

## Apologies
* Naomi Lillie
* Sam Leon
* Mark Wainwright
* Lucy Chambers
* Marcus Dapp
* Daniel Dietrich
* Laura James
* Rufus Pollock

## Updates (paste your notebook link in here [name](link)):

* [Laura Newman](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/21/week-ahead-laura-newman-20/) FAO: School of Data Kick-Off sprint taking place Weds-Fri this week. All welcome to join online, see
* [Daniel Dietrich](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/21/week-ahead-daniel-dietrich-20/)
* [Kat Braybrooke]( http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/21/week-ahead-kat-braybrooke-27/ )
* [Darwin Peltan](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/21/week-ahead-darwin-peltan-2/)
* [Sam Leon](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/21/weekly-update-sam-leon-19/)
* [Joris Pekel](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/05/21/week-ahead-joris-pekel-4/)

## [Events](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0)
* International Open Government Data Conference, July 10-12, Washington DC – for CKAN team? – no-one from CKAN team here
* From last week: – RGRP not here again
– FOCAS, Aspen Institute, Colorado (line 38, RGRP)
– New Media Forum Plenary Chamber, Brussels (line 31, RGRP)

Notes from Project and Coord Call

Laura Newman - April 30, 2012 in Uncategorized

# Overview

## Headlines
* New strategy for projects call: once a month, a larger community call will take place. It will have a longer timeslot and will give a broader overview of what’s going on in the OKFN. It will be open to all.
* The fortnightly projects call is *cancelled*.
* We will need a new technology, as the group is likely to be too large for Skype.

* Meetups on Wed, Thurs and Fri in Berlin this week. If you have contacts in Berlin who’d like to meet the OKFN team, please invite them!
* There will be a meeting at the new OKFN Germany office the following week
* The final deadline for OKFestival submission proposals is June 2nd. The ten 2012 festival themes have already been decided and will be shared on the OKFestival website by the end of this week.

* No wolfpack call next Monday (bank holiday)

## Events
* Wisis Workshop (line 14) [LN] – Daniel attending this to present Open Government toolkit, to double as OKFN ambassador
* International Workshop: Identifying benefits deriving from the adoption of XML-based chains for drafting legislation (line 12) – probably a no but just to check [LN] – agreed, Daniel might attend for EPSI platform but not with ‘OKFN hat’ on. LN to confirm no attendance
* Cultural Heritage in the Digital Domain (line 18) [LN] – Sam and Joris missing, LN to e-mail

## Actions
* NL & LN to look into technology for calls – make informed decision, a paid-for solution is an option
* LN to catch-up with David re. Mumble – what did the CKAN team think of it when they explored it as an option.
* LN to catch-up with Nils re. alternative technologies.
* LN to drop an email to all in OKFN discuss, when would be best for monthly meetings and what should they include?
* LN to cancel fortnightly projects call, instate monthly call in its place.
* LN to confirm no attendance at International Workshop
* LN to e-mail Sam / Joris re Cultural Heritage talk opportunity
* NL to ping people again re:Pulse, remind them about local clients, encourage feedback

# Projects Meeting

Projects meeting 30th April 2012. 1pm UK time. (1200 UTC)

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke – Community Coordinator
* Hauke Gierow – Community Coordinator – Germany
* Laura James – Foundation Coordinator
* Naomi Lillie – Community Coordinator & Foundation Administrator
* Laura Newman – Community Coordinator
* Mark Wainwright – Community Coordinator (CKAN)

## Apologies
* Ira Bolychevsky – Product Owner – CKAN
* Lucy Chambers – Community Coordinator
* Christian Chiarcos – Open Linguistics
* Stefano Costa – Open Archaeology
* Tim Davies – Open Development
* Daniel Dietrich – Chapter Lead – Germany
* Velichka Dimitrova – Open Economics
* Primavera de Filippi – Public Domain Calculators / Open Metadata Handbook
* Adam Green – Public Domain Review Dude
* James Harriman-Smith – Open Humanities
* Peter Hicks – Open Transport
* Sam Leon – Community Coordinator
* Friedrich Lindenberg – OpenSpending & Many many other projects
* Mark MacGillivray – Open Biblio
* Theodora Middleton – Blogmeister
* Jenny Molloy – Open Science Working Group
* Peter Murray-Rust – Open Science Working Group / Open Biblio
* Sebastian Nordhoff – Open Linguistics
* Tom Olijhoek – Open @ccess
* Joris Pekel – DM2E – Queensday in the Netherlands
* Rufus Pollock – BDFL
* Tom Rees – OKFN Labs

## Agenda
* 2 minute Updates (feel free to type in the ## updates section while people are doing their introductions)
* WG coordinators can add themselves to:
* How should these calls be organised?
1. Organisation
* Today only Hauke is non-core attendee, but this is the only opportunity for him / others to discuss projects with rest of team
* It was agreed that meetings should be less often and that occasional face-to-face meetings are useful
* HG doesn’t see need for distinction for volunteer / core / WG / etc – need to keep openness within organisation. Updates not necessarily useful on weekly basis but overall bigger picture useful to know
* One Monday per month for broader organisation update generally agreed, although noted that it’s a meeting-heavy day; people will need to be clear on purpose of call and plan what they wish to say to make it efficient
2. Technology
* Mumble?
* http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
* http://www.anymeeting.com/
* http://www.onwebinar.com/
* https://www.webhuddle.com/
* http://chat.nlp2rdf.org/chat.php?chat=lobby

## AOB
* Meetups Wed, Thurs, Fri in Berlin this week. If you have contacts in Berlin who’d like to meet the OKFN team, please invite them! https://blog.okfn.org/2012/04/27/meet-the-okf-in-berlin/ – refer to e-mail sent by Kat -> * Republica on 10th, meeting at new OKFN DE office the following week http://lanyrd.com/2012/open-knowledge-meetup-republica/
* The final deadline for OKFestival submission proposals is June 2nd – the ten 2012 festival themes have also been decided and will be shared on the OKFestival website by the end of this week.

## Actions
* Catch-up with David re. Mumble – what did the CKAN team think of it when they explored it as an option
* Technology a key issue – make informed decision, a paid-for solution is an option
* Drop an email to all in OKFN discuss, when would be best for monthly meetings and what should they include?
* Cancel fortnightly projects call, instate monthly call in its place.

# Wolfpack Team Meeting notes

Team meeting 30th April. around 1.30 pm UK time. (12:30 UTC)

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke
* Marcus Dapp
* Daniel Dietrich
* Laura James
* Naomi Lillie
* Laura Newman
* Darwin Peltan
* Mark Wainwright

## Apologies
* Lucy Chambers
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Sam Leon
* Joris Pekel
* Rufus Pollock
* Tom Rees

## Agenda
* Fortnightly projects call cancelled in favour of monthly broad organisational call, therefore need to consider technology to enable this to work successfully. Mumble is being looked into as a reliable forum for this. LN (or whoever looking into suitable tech) to discuss Mumble with Nils

## Updates & FAO (paste your notebook link in here [name](link)):
* FAO Everyone: Any major updates should go in your FAOs from now on 🙂
* [Naomi Lillie] (http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/30/week-ahead-naomi-lillie-16/ )
* [Laura Newman](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/30/week-ahead-laura-newman-17/)
* [Kat Braybrooke](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/30/week-ahead-kat-braybrooke-25/)
* [Darwin Peltan] (http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/30/week-ahead-darwin-peltan/)
* [Laura James] http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/30/week-ahead-laura-james-15/ key point: less projects as I handover to Jilly&Darwin, more core Foundation Coordinaton & strategy

## Events (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0)
* Wisis Workshop (line 14) [LN] – Daniel attending this to present Open Government toolkit, to double as OKFN ambassador
* International Workshop: Identifying benefits deriving from the adoption of XML-based chains for drafting legislation (line 12) – probably a no but just to check [LN] – agreed, Daniel might attend for EPSI platform but not with ‘OKFN hat’ on. LN to confirm no attendance
* Cultural Heritage in the Digital Domain (line 18) [LN] – Sam and Joris missing, LN to e-mail

## AOB
* Pulse – useful? https://okfn.campfirenow.com/room/406005 send reminder around

## Actions
* LN (or whoever looking into suitable tech) to discuss Mumble with Nils
* LN to confirm no attendance at International Workshop
* LN to e-mail Sam / Joris re Cultural Heritage talk opportunity
* NL to ping people again re:Pulse, remind them about local clients, encourage feedback

Notes from Wolfpack Meeting, 23/4,12

Laura Newman - April 23, 2012 in Uncategorized

## Headlines
* Linked Open Vocabularies to be hosted by OKFN
* Organisation of Wolfpack and Projects call to be reviewed – details of discussion below
* Campfire is the new ‘water cooler’ – all paid staff to give it a try and feedback in a couple of weeks
* ALL events should be documented on our [events spreadsheet](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc&pli=1#gid=0). [NB: the spreadsheet is public and to be used for factual details only]
* EU based people should *not* include VAT on their invoices… speak to Laura James if you’re not sure whether this affects you.

## Events
* OKFN to give a School of Data talk at Open Data week, but not keynote.

## Actions
* SL to confirm that we will host LOV project
* LN to pass details of Mark Golledge on to DD.
* LN to respond about Open Data Week & School of Data.
* NL to act as scribe in future meetings.

## Minutes
* Finalise whether LOV (Linked Open Vocabularies) will be OKFN hosted — see [Doodle](http://doodle.com/dwptczimr65e7q2n), no objections have been raised on projects coord list. Generally a positive response – SL

— Basically, yes

* Discuss format of calls: wolfpack and (more urgently?) projects
* Having a time to talk is good
* Notebook posts should be written – and read!
* A written update of events / projects for people to peruse could be good…
* Key difference between UPDATES (to be done in writing) and DISCUSSION (best done speaking in person)
* Scribe should not be call moderator – can someone step up to write call notes in future weeks (NL offers!) – thanks NL!
* LN to go through notepad entries to pull out interesting points & add to a snazzier write-up? [Snazzier write-up, but maybe not notebook posts I think…]
* To discuss the issue of the projects call further…

* Discuss Nick Stenning proposal that we all use [NS]. Nick’s proposal:
* we need a water cooler where people can come and casually keep in touch with chitchat without feeling it’s an obligation. Something not too intrusive. Something where you can go offline, but come back and not have missed out on what’s happened.
* Nick strongly recommends Campfire which has searchable backlog
* try the room 🙂 please feedback to NickS so we can see what works well
* for paid staff / ‘commit access’ type folk (LJ: I’d like this to be clear 😉
Comments:
* yet another tool
* you can turn it off and not miss out. Better “backlog” than Skype does
* a place to be a bit silly
* IRC remains there for the public to say hi 🙂 everyone is welcome to stay there too
* building a virtual office
Nick to email everyone with details and also to mention that there are desktop clients available eg Flint for mac
We should review in a couple of weeks and see how it’s going.

* Using our zippy spreadsheet to decide which events to attend: [RGRP, via LN] — EVERYONE TO USE IT!
* Is this for events we run too? YES refer to Kat’s e-mail of 22nd Feb – we need to keep eye on things we run too
* Remember that the spreadsheet is publicly visible – discussion should take place on the call.

* EC VAt situation – heads up! [LJ]
* We shouldn’t charge or pay VAT to EU companies outside UK… please don’t include VAT in your invoices to us if you’re EU-based and VAT-registered. Talk to LJ if questions.

* Several new Eastern European OKFN:LOCAL groups/chapters – share contacts, projects and opportunities w them?

## [Events](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgKCQJHmtLY_dGNER3RLRWJTbjItNzBBNnc2aDNuUnc)

* Mark Golledge (Masters student) would like someone to talk to him for about 45 mins via — Skype about Open Government Data [LN] – Daniel Dietrich to talk to him
* Open Data Week event in Nantes, May 25th – School of Data [LN]
* Not keynoting, DD might be attending

## Updates (paste your notebook link in here [name](link)): http://notebook.okfn.org/
* [Laura Newman](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/week-ahead-laura-newman-16/)
* [Naomi Lillie](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/week-ahead-naomi-lillie-15/ )
* [Daniel Dietrich](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/week-ahead-daniel-dietrich-16/ )
* [Sam Leon](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/week-ahead-joris-pekel/)
* [Joris Pekel](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/weekly-update-sam-leon-17/)
* [Kat Braybrooke](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/week-ahead-kat-braybrooke-24/)
* [Laura James](http://notebook.okfn.org/2012/04/23/week-ahead-laura-james-14/) – srsly, you don’t need my link – all recent notebook posts are at the top of the notebook site 🙂 – granted, but these notes also get archived and we might sometimes want the link… At the least, this is a handy way of getting an overview of who *has* written a notebook post!

## Questions
## AOB
## Notes
## Actions
— do the Bartman

## Participants
* Kat Braybrooke
* Lucy Chambers
* Daniel Dietrich
* Laura James
* Sam Leon
* Naomi Lillie
* Jilly Mathews
* Laura Newman
* Joris Pekel
* Darwin Peltan
* Nick Stenning
* Mark Wainwright
* Irina Bolychevsky

## Apologies
* Marcus Dapp
* Velichka Dimitrova
* Rufus Pollock
* Tom Rees